When you hear someone say"Motherhood" what are some of the first words that pop into your mind ??
Children? Of course.
Love? Yes. It's a beautiful thing.
Snuggles? Oh, those are nice aren't they?
Protectiveness? Yes. Mothers are fiercely protective of their offspring.
What about scary? No??
Maybe horror?? Not on the top of your list?
While motherhood is wonderful and beautiful and all of those pleasant things, any mom will tell you that it can also be super scary. Most moms have at least a few horror stories to share as well.
In honor of Halloween, here is my list of the scariest things about Motherhood:
1. Labor and Delivery - Pain, screaming, crying, uncertainty - It's frightening!
2. The Unknown - I like things to be predictable and scheduled. That's not possible in parenting. From the moment you conceive, there are millions of things that could go wrong. As they grow, they can get sick or hurt or lost. The "what ifs" will drive you mad if you let them!
3. Toys - Sometimes I think the toys are taking over my house like aliens invading the planet. Have you sever stepped on a Lego while barefoot?? Have you ever tried to get play dough out of carpet? Have you ever seen Chucky??
4. Bodily Fluids - Motherhood is full of poop, urine, vomit, snot, and occasionally blood. It's gross.
5. Traveling - Have you ever taken a road trip with a kids? There is usually screaming, arguing, whining, crying, and, frequently, some of those bodily fluids I alluded to above. Terrifying.
6. Public Opinion - No matter what you do as a mom, someone will always find fault with it. Breast vs. bottle; Stay at home vs. working; co-sleeping vs. sleep training; spanking vs. time-out - the list goes on and on. If we let the advice of others get under our skin, it can be very scary!
7. Sleep deprivation - This is a classic. From newborns to sick school age kids to waiting up for teenagers to get home - moms are regularly sacrificing sleep to care for their minions. This can turn moms into very creepy Mommy Zombies.
8. Money - Kids are expensive - period. That means that finances can often get rather tight. It can feel like you are suffocating under a mountain of "I need this" and "I want that." Money - or lack thereof - can induce panic attacks of epic proportion.
9. Raising teenagers - Mine aren't teenagers yet, but I'm already scared. Psychotic mood swings, late night prowling, and knock-down drag-out fights are all part of the package. (Or so I've been told!)
10. Meltdowns - With all of the above, meltdowns are inevitable. Kids have tantrums. Moms lose control. Even dads can freak out from time to time. There may not be menacing music playing in the background to foreshadow the danger, but you can still see it coming. When you do, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!
Are you convinced, now, that motherhood can be scary?? Yes? No?
Well, either way, you need to check out this book!
In it, thirty moms, including me, are sharing some of our most horrifying tales from the trenches of motherhood. There are tales of labor pains gone awry, terrifying unknowns, and toys that led to disaster. It has poop sagas and traveling nightmares. There are debacles borne form unsolicited public input and sleep deprivation tragedies. Finally, you will find finance fiascos and teenager terror. If you like a good scare (or a good laugh; or a good cry) this book is for you!
Trust me, it's VERY SCARY!! (And, funny, emotional, moving, happy, etc.)
Get your copy today!
See a list of all contributing authors and read even more meltdown madness on the blog at the official Mother of all Meltdowns website: