Why are we so enthralled with this idea of survival?? I have no idea. In fact, to me, it sounds like pure torture. My family has actually been suggesting lately that we try a camping trip, but I am just not a "roughing it" kind of gal. Living in the wilderness without basic modern comforts does NOT sound like fun to me.
Nevertheless, when I saw something like "What You Would Take With You On a Deserted Island" in a list of blog prompts, I knew it would be great for our Tuesday Ten! It actually turned out to be much harder than I thought, though.
Of course, I would love to take my iPhone and my computer with me, but assuming there would be no electricity, I suppose they wouldn't do me much good. I realize also, that very few people actually plan to end up on a deserted island, so making a list like this is a little ridiculous. However, the way my kids have been bickering this afternoon, the idea of being stranded, ALONE, on a beautiful beach somewhere is sounding better and better!!!
So, here are . . . . . . .
- Fire Starter - I like my creature comforts, but even I know I would need light, heat, and protection. I would take some sort of fire starter. Matches would run out and could get wet, but surely there is something at my local REI that would be more durable!
- Tent - Instead of trying to build my own shelter out of bamboo and vines, I would just take a tent - if I was planning ahead.
- Food - I would take as much non-perishable food as I possibly could because I have no idea what would be available on my deserted island and I am not very good at fishing.
- Water purifier - If REI has a firestarter, surely they also have some sort of water purifier, too, right?? I would need one of these to make sure I have water that is safe to drink.
- Books- I imagine there would be quite a bit of "down time" during the day, so I would need something to keep me busy. I would love to have some good books to read and maybe even a few how-to books that could help me with my survival skills.
- Pen and Paper- I'm a writer and I need to write. I would want a pen and paper to keep track of the days and to journal about my experience.
- Basic tools - Even though I'm not excited by the idea of "roughing it" and have never actually been camping, I know I would need some tools. I would definitely take a few knives - some large, some small. I would take a few other basic tools as well that might come in handy like a hammer and a saw.
- Clothes and shoes - I wouldn't take a whole wardrobe, but it would be nice to have a couple extra things so I could wash and have at least semi-clean clothes. Shoes would be a must as well because injured feet are not good!
- Pictures - I wouldn't want my family to suffer with me, but I would want to have pictures of them. If I wanted to give up, maybe the pictures and thoughts of getting back to them would keep me going.
- An endless supply of sunscreen and bug repellent - Okay. This is a little far fetched, I know. However, this fair skinned girl would be cooked if I was in the sun all day every day and I cannot stand bugs. So, if I'm making an imaginary list, I'm taking sunscreen and bug spray!
**And, then my husband chimes in and says "Why don't you just take a solar charger for your phone and computer?!?!" Well, If I had know there was such a thing . . . . . .
What would you take if you knew you were headed to a deserted island?
Your Tuesday Ten hostesses are:
1) Link up a post, old or new, pertaining to the TuesdayTen topic for this week and add our TuesdayTen button to your post or sidebar.
2) Please do not link up contests, product reviews, or sponsored posts. Links not pertaining to the topic will be removed at the hosts' discretion.
3) Visit your hosts and follow them on social media.
4) Visit as many other linked posts as you can and show those bloggers some love by commenting and/or sharing.
5) By linking up you agree to be subscribed to out #TuesdayTen mailing list. Emails are only sent once a week and you can unsubscribe at any time. If you would like to be added to the mailing list without linking up, click here.
Come link up again next Tuesday, August 5 when we will be sharing ten things we love about our best friends in honor of National Friendship day (which is actually Aug. 3).