However, birthdays do make me feel rather retrospective, so, despite the cliche nature of it, I thought I would list 39 things I've learned in my 39 years on earth. In no particular order . . .
- Be yourself. There's nobody else quite like you.
- In most things, including clothes, food, and "stuff", QUALITY is far more important than QUANTITY.
- Effective communication is key in most everything in life. With it, things run smoothly. Without it, things turn to crap.
- History matters. Yours, your country's, your world's. Don't ignore it.
- Grammar matters. Make an effort to learn it properly.
- Saying "no" is a skill that many people only acquire after saying "yes" too often.
- Experiences are far more valuable than things.
- Surround yourself with people who build you up - not people who tear you down.
- When all else fails, go ask your mom. You are NEVER too old to need her.
- Laughter is good for your soul.
- Rarely is anything ever perfect. That's okay. Look for the good.
- Say "please" and "thank you" constantly.
- Being HEALTHY is much more important than being SKINNY. (I know this one in my head, but I'm still learning to embrace it.)
- Spend time with children. They will make you smile even on your worst days and bring you back to reality and innocence.
- Every now and then, you just have to go with the flow!
- Rules were NOT meant to be broken. They have a purpose and if you don't follow them, you need to "man up" and accept the consequences.
- Don't whine. Nobody likes a whiner.
- Men will never completely understand women and women will never completely understand men. Therefore, see #3.
- Remember to Breathe!
- Marriage is hard, but completely worth it.
- Parenting is hard, but completely worth it.
- It's okay to cry sometimes.
- Everyone is struggling with something. Be kind.
- You will never be able to please everyone, so stand up for what you believe and don't worry (too much) about who gets ticked off.
- This too shall pass - whatever it is. Hold on to the joy and power through the tough times. Sooner or later, both will be just a memory.
- The older you get, the faster time passes.
- Books are almost always better than the movie.
- Be careful with your finances. Splurge on occasion, but remember NOTHING is ever really free.
- You seriously can "google" anything. (However, that doesn't mean you should!)
- When in doubt, go with the chocolate dessert.
- Silence is golden and heavenly and sorely missing in life sometimes.
- When you have the chance to travel, GO! Without hesitation or fear - GO! The world is full of amazing places.
- A good song has the power to provide comfort, lift you up, make you cry, or all of the above. Crank it up!
- You are never too old to be Daddy's little girl.
- Dont' procrastinate. Waiting won't make it go away.
- A long chat with a good friend can rejuvenate your soul - even if you are an introvert like me.
- Getting a tan isn't worth getting sunburned. Wear sunscreen.
- My house will never be spotless because we live here, but there are blessings in the midst of the mess.
- Age is just a number. It means you've lived, so there's no need to fret about adding another year.
The older you get, the faster time passes. 39 Things I've Learned in 39 Years. @TheGoldenSpoons #TuesdayTen
Age is just a number. It simply means you've lived! @TheGoldenSpoons #TuesdayTen
This post is part of the Tuesday Ten linkup hosted Rabia of The Liebers and me on the first Tuesday of the month. Want to join the fun? Link up you own list of 10 (or more!) below and join our Facebook group for future reminders and ideas!