It was built in the 70's and some parts of it are still stuck there. Some aspects of the floor plan are also not quite to my liking. When we moved in, we had grand plans for some renovations, but remodeling is time consuming and expensive! Therefore, changes have not occurred as quickly as I wish they had.
With a lot of things in life, though, I think we tend to focus on the negatives. I am certainly guilty of that when it comes to our house. I sometimes forget that there is also plenty to love about the place where I live. So, since the topic for today's Tuesday Ten is "Ten Things I Love About Where I Live," I'm taking the opportunity to focus on the positives! Here are 10 things I love about our house:
- Lots of space indoors - My kids like to watch Family Feud (although the survey questions occasionally make me cringe!). Recently, one of the questions asked contestants to name something they disliked about their home. The #1 answer was "It's too small!" I don't have to complain about that because we have plenty of space. Each kid has her own room and, basically, her own bathroom. We have a couple different living spaces, too.
- Lots of space outdoors - We live on 10 acres (15 if you include my in-laws' lot that is behind us). There are wooded areas to explore, a large driveway for bike riding, and a creek. We often have special visitors, too!
- We have a pool - When we first moved here, I didn't see this as an advantage. With little kids, it terrified me and pool maintenance is no joke either! However, I have come to love that fact that, on a hot summer day, I can just head out back and let the kids jump in. It also makes our house a great "hang out house" for friends - the kids' and ours!
- I have two pantries - Someone once told me that you will fill all the space you have - the more space you have to fill, the more stuff you seem to acquire to fill it! That is true of our pantries. They, of course, are full of food, but they are also where I store way too much tupperware, some miscellaneous kitchen gadgets, and a ginormous trash can.
- We have a playroom - Many years ago, the garage was converted into a "rec room." Now that the kids are older, I would love to convert it back to a garage, but when they were younger it was absolutely awesome to let them go in there, make a giant mess, and, then, just close the door when we didn't feel like cleaning it up!
- The kids have their own rooms - I alluded to this in the first one. At our former house, our two oldest shared a room like many kids do when the third was born. It worked, but required bunk beds and lots of conflict negotiation. I'm glad that, now, they each have their own space.
- Family is close by - Having your in laws as neighbors could be a sticky situation for some, but I get along great with my in-laws. They frequently help me out with baby-sitting and getting the kids to a million different places. My parents are just a couple hours away as well. When we just had two kiddos, we lived in another state for a while. I really missed having family close to us and I'm glad that, today, they are right in my backyard (literally & figuratively!).
- That's only seven, but the rest of my list can be summed up in these pictures:
Big or small, modern or French Country - it doesn't matter. Home is where the heart is and these faces are the ones that fill my heart with love. My home is wherever they are. It's where we make memories together and where we are all loved beyond measure. They are what I love most about where I live!
What do you like about your house? What would you like to change?
Your Tuesday Ten hostesses are:
1) Link up a post, old or new, pertaining to the TuesdayTen topic for this week and add our TuesdayTen button to your post or sidebar.
2) Please do not link up contests, product reviews, or sponsored posts. Links not pertaining to the topic will be removed at the hosts' discretion.
3) Visit your hosts and follow them on social media.
4) Visit as many other linked posts as you can and show those bloggers some love by commenting and/or sharing.
If you would like to be added to the mailing list without linking up, click here.
Come link up again next Tuesday, July 14. It's National Nude Day, so we'll be sharing 10 things we love/hate about our bodies! (Yikes!) Get creative! (But, no nude photos, o.k.?)